Sunday, May 8, 2011

crunch time

This week was filled with lots of good training to add to the bank.  On Friday after an easy treadmill recovery run in the morning, I drove to Kananaskis for a conference/trade show at the Delta Lodge.  The conference was also on Saturday, so an overnight affair.  As soon as the last session wrapped up just after 1pm on Saturday, I packed everything up and hightailed it out of there, as I had a long run to do!  I parked at the first scenic trail entrance I came across, quickly changed into my running gear, and was ready to start my 90 min run by 1:30! 

I ended up running along the very scenic and very hilly highway, enjoying every minute of the mountain views.  Early on, I decided to veer off on one of the trail routes, but this lasted only about 10 minutes as the terrain became too rocky, and my imagination began to run wild, eventually getting the better of me.  I couldn't help but picture in my mind being attacked by a cougar or grizzly while i was running, and there were like no people around and I didn't have a cellphone on me (who runs with a cellphone), so I decided to turn around and go back to the highway, where it felt safer! 

Start of my run in K-Country (yes there was surprisingly still some snow around but it was still warm enough for shorts!)

The run ended up being a good one, although I felt like my throat was burning a bit.  Must be from the altitude?  I did a quick stretch after my run, changed, and got back in the car for the 4hr jaunt back to St. Albert.  Which was not fun.  But I must say, chocolate milk always works as a great recovery fuel when there is nothing else available! 

I was pretty exhausted when I arrived home last night, and needed a nice lie-in this morning to recharge the batteries! [Also a few cups of coffee didn't hurt either!]  Geoff had a pretty big day of training on tap for me, and unfortunately I was all on my own for it as my usual partners in crime had all done their rides on Saturday :(  Luckily, the sun was out and there was no chance of rain! 

(on a side note, I finally bought a new helmet... my other one was from 2003 and had seen better days, not to mention it probably would not pass inspection at a race and I am not wearing an aero helmet in Hawaii!  So it was definitely time for a new one!)

So the workout today was a 3.5 hr ride/30 min run.  The ride was challenging, and part of that was due to being all on my own!  I had music with me (in one ear only and volume not loud), but the wind was blowing so loudly that I could barely even hear it!   The wind kinda sucked, but I kept telling myself "This is great practice for Hawaii, this is great practice for Hawaii", and that helped me to get through it.  In reality, it is likely going to be a whole lot worse in Hawaii, but whatever, at least it's windy here most of the time and that is still good training. 

I feel like my running and swimming are coming along pretty nicely right now, but I feel like my cycling is not anywhere close to where it needs to be.  So this week and next will be more focused cycling weeks, in order to try and boost the biking fitness and hopefully get it where it needs to be!  I've been consistently training about 12-13 hrs/week, and perhaps biking hasn't taken up enough of those hours.  Oh well, you can only do so much, and I'm not prepared to train more than 15 hours a week right now.  Even 15 hours is really pushing it for me, as it makes me so exhausted for my job, and general life activities!  I've gotta keep some balance in my life, as I don't want to just eat sleep and breathe triathlon 24/7.  Don't get me wrong, I love this sport and the training and the lifestyle, but there are also many other important things where I like to focus my time and energy, including family, friends, and work (I actually love my job)!  Triathlon is just a small section of the whole pie; an important piece, but not the biggest one. 

Anyway, I'm getting off topic here...back to the long workout - the 3.5hr solo bike workout was tough, not just physically but also mentally!  I ended up riding somewhere over 100km, maybe 103-105km (not sure on the exact numbers as I have no working computer, it's all by feel and time until I figure out how to fix it!).   Then it was time for a 30 min run, with the first 20 min at tempo pace.  After I changed into my run clothes, I had to sit down on the couch for a minute or two to collect myself and get psyched up to get out that door!  That ride took a lot out of me...  But the run turned out great.  I left the i-pod at home and enjoyed the sunshine!

With the 4 hour workout completed, i headed to Geoff's parents house (sans Geoff),  for dinner - steak, potatoes, salad, and cake - yum!  I wanted nothing more than to head back home after that and park myself on the couch for the rest of the evening, but i still had a swim to do (must.swim.3x.perweek!), so I drove my butt over to the pool and swam an easy 2200m mixer.  I was really regretting during my swim the fact that I had 2 pieces of cake at dinner, but I slogged through the swim and got'er done and done, just in time for the pool to close at 8:30pm!

For the rest of May, I have to be in Calgary every single week for work, so it's going to be busy busy busy!  I'll be heading there May 12-14 for some meetings and this trip also coincides with Donald's grad from med school!.  I will have to shuffle my workouts around these trips and will be aiming not to miss any, as the time is getting near for Hawaii 70.3 - it's less than 4 weeks away!


Stephen said...

OMG the pic of you in the helmet is hilarious!! You should make that your facebook pic!! :)

Julie said...

I really enjoyed this blog post of much you love the sport, but finding balance with other aspects of your life.

I love your positive attitude!! :)